Saturday, June 28, 2008

A new appreciation for music that didn't really suck as much as I thought it did.

That's right. You heard me.

Guitar Hero has that affect on people. I used to cringe in disgust at the thought of "Welcome to the Jungle" playing in my ears. It only took me YEARS to ween myself from Bill Bailey aka Axl Rose as a teenager. So to hear that tune harmonize itself through my angsty young adult years was something equivalent to nails on a chalkboard. It only reminded me of Aqua Net hairspray, safety pins in the pants and Faxanadu for regular Nintendo.Faxanadu wasn't bad, rather a saviour of my wasted youth, it was the fact that I was a participant in the folly that was that era of bad hair fads and acid washed muckery, and that I failed miserably at my feeble attempts to blend in with that culture. An altogether awkward stage in my multi-faceted life. I wanted to ditch that part of my existence in a dumpster far far from wherever the fuck I was. But alas, once the cycle of becoming a young adult has waned, you come into what's called "acceptance", and you finally come to the realization that no matter how bad you try to forget, the bad hair days will always be there, as well as all the leftover holes in the bottoms of your pant legs from trying ceaselessly to pin them up with safety pins. So you sit back, and share the humorous memories with your siblings, and learn to laugh at yourself.

And then when Guitar Hero 3 comes along, you can now revel in the fact that you know every shitty lead in that song and every whine that "Axl" belts out as if they were the very hairs on your own head. And then you become a rock star in your own pathetic God-given right, godammit. Now go rock me like a hurricaine bitches.

I STILL can't get over how fucking ridiculously hard "One" is to play on medium. I almost felt like I was going to have a seizure once I finally DID beat the song.....on fucking medium, for Christ's sake.

No comments: